Sunday, March 21, 2010

Transfer Rumour | why I won't pay £8m for AZ Alkmaar's Sergio Romero

The 23-year-old Argentine is considered by many to be the solution to
Arsenal's goal-keeping mishaps.

I beg to differ, not only do I think he's over rated at £8m, but
I'd like to base my judgement on one incident (afterall, we all wrote
Vito Mannone off, just because he failed to deal properly with a West
Ham free-kick which gifted Cole the opportunity of setting up that
comeback last year). So why should the adage "different strokes for
different folks" be adopted as our yardstick for judging this unknown
quantity?

Agreed, Lukasz Fabianski screwed up against Porto and I know he's
notorious for commiting high profile blunders. But the simple reason
that we put four goals past the Argentine, at the Emirates is a
reminder that we've got to appreciate what we have and it's also a
very bad
sign for a club with Arsenal's pedigree to be involved with such a player.

With Almunia finally bracing himself for action - as seen in the
way and manner he executes his duties these days.

I don't see Arsene Wenger, spending a dime on that untested
shot-stopper who is eager to escape the boredom of Dutch football.

Hear him out: "My career has gone very well in Holland but I came to
Europe to play in the biggest Leagues and I will soon be ready to
move," he enthused.

Instead of settling for an error-prone goalie, I think we should give
Fabianski and Mannone another opportunity at the big stage. You never
can tell what might transpire after that.