Saturday, September 3, 2011

Oxlade-Chamberlain Impressed With Wenger's Signings, Especially Mertesacker

Arsenal's new boy Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain has spoken of his determination to compete, with the express purpose of winning the coach and the fans heart alike.

The youngster, who joined the Gunners from Southampton during this summer's transfer window for an undisclosed fee amidst interest from several top division sides, maintained his earlier stance to fight for his place in the team despite strong competition from the likes of Van Persie, Yao Gervinho, Marouane Chamakh, Chu Young Park, Theo Walcott, Andrey Arshavin and even Ryo Miyaichi.

Alex made his debut as a second half substitute for the Gunners at Old Trafford last week. Just like a true winner, the 18-year-old England U-21 star is prepared to work hard in training to achieve his target: “He's just bought some new players now and I understand it's going to be hard for me, but I'm a young lad coming into the Club and I understand I've got a lot of hard work to do to try and impress him.”

Alex is impressed with the manner in which his new pals welcomed him to the Premier League: “I've settled in well. At first I was a little apprehensive going in maybe, but all the boys have welcomed me nicely and I'm getting into the swing of things.

“I understand there is a lot of hard work to establish myself and get in amongst it, but it's going well for me,” he added.

The versatile youngster kept an open mind on Arsene Wenger's new signings. He believes the manager struck great bargains, especially with the capture of ex-Werder Bremen skipper Per Mertesacker: “I don't think Arsenal would buy anybody who isn't a good player.

“I've seen the likes of Per Mertesacker play and they look like quality signings. I think they will do a good job for us and help us to do well this year,” he concluded.