Sunday, June 6, 2010

Mark Schwarzer and Arsenal how compatible?

At 37 years of age, he might be labelled an old-stopper by some sections of our teeming supporters.

I don't blame them, Arsene Wenger might have realised that he needs youth and experience to blend properly, if the team is to stand a chance of competing for any silverware next season - not to talk of banishing our trophyless state.

But I think Mark will fit the bill perfectly, maybe for the time being as we pray and hope for the maturity of our fumbling youngsters, who I believe will benefit immensely from the vastly experienced Australian.

Schwarzer, who is currently in South Africa preparing to represent Australia at the World Cup, denied any involvement (transfer-wise) with the Arsenal, but a scrutinuous look at the comment reveals a little loophole; The Fulham stopper didn't completely rule out a move as previously suggested, he coyly admitted that he'll consider a potential switch only if 'someone told him otherwise' so, here we go again.

The Australian safe-hands, who played a remarkable 52 games for Fulham last season told ABC: "I haven't heard anything other than what's been said or written in the papers, so it's purely speculative at the moment.

"I've got another year left on my contract at Fulham and I've really enjoyed my time at Fulham and I'm enjoying it and I see my future at the moment with Fulham.

"I don't see anything changing unless someone tells me otherwise."

Although I believe a move for him will be highly unlikely given the fact that he has being transfer-linked on the official website, and as such, we the fans are expected to regard the speculation as baseless.

However, according to this morning's News of the World, the 37-year-old Fulham goal keeper spoke to Roy Hodgson about the possibility of pursuing a career outside Craven Cottage.

Well, since the Boss' reply is still pending or the insider source is saving it for another day, it remains to be seen if shrewd spender Arsene Wenger will consider the stopper, who is valued at £3m an economically viable option as he looks set to rectify his problematic positions ahead of next season's business.

There's actually no need in emphasizing the necessity of a new goalie, bringing last season's campaign into focus might explain why. The most important thing is his supposed capture which, when completed might add the much needed experience and stability to our fragility between the posts as characterized by the inefficiency of Manuel Almunia and his partner-in-blunder Lucazs Fabianski, the latter whom I still have faith in.

The report understands that although Schwarzer played an outstanding role for the cottagers in their exploits last season, and has a year remaining on his contract, he might well be tempted to don the colours of the Arsenal next season, if Arsene Wenger decides to add him to the astute Gunners bandwagon.