Thursday, March 18, 2010

Blanc "We earned our qualification" Chamakh "I hope we can avoid Lyon and Barcelona"

Laurent Blanc is a very happy man (kindly refer to the side bar for an
article on the importance he attached to winning the tie). I apologise
for my inability to embed the link inside the post, that's because I
am using my phone to blog.

Yesterday, the gaffer admitted that the onus was on them to win and
progress to the quarter-finals of the Champions League for the first
time in 22 years.
But today Blanc carries the aura of a fulfilled man. And he didn't shy
away from suggestions that French clubs are weak in Europe, instead
the Frenchman believes all that is about to change.

Blanc said: "We made a very positive start, we opened the scoring from
a set piece. There were lots of positives up until the 65th minute.
Altogether, they played a good match and we earned our qualification.

"We'll have to see how the French clubs go in to the quarter-finals.
If we make it through, it could well mean that French football has
bridged some of the gap behind the big countries like Spain, England
and even Italy. Among the eight clubs who are through to the quarters,
there are six or even seven who would want to be drawn with Bordeaux.
For me, there's one team I really want to avoid, that's Barcelona, who
remain the most frightening side in the competition."

Just like his Boss Arsenal target Chamakh has revealed that he's
scared of Barcelona and even Ligue 1 rival Lyon. Don't worry kid, you
can choose us. I promise we won't bore you guys with uninspiring
football, rather when we are done, you will definately attest to our
superiority.

The Moroccan international said, his late strike relieved him and his
team mates of the threat their visitors posed: "The Champions League
quarter-finals! If you'd told us at the start of the season that we'd
be here, we wouldn't have believed you. It was difficult, but we went
after this quarter-finals spot and it's a pure joy, a real pleasure.

"We can't deny that we had a few scares, when they equalised and the
fact that we were down to ten men.
The fact that I scored at the end was a big relief for me and the
team, I can't deny that. Now for the draw, I hope we can avoid Lyon
and Barcelona and go as far as possible in the competition. We'll play
without pressure."