Friday, July 29, 2011

Wojciech Ready To Be #1 Ahead Of Fabianski and Mannone At Arsenal

Arsenal's first choice goalkeeper Wojciech Szczesny is poised to beat off competition from compatriot Lukasz Fabianski, and Italian youngster Vito Mannone in order to maintain his endangered position at the helm of keeper affairs.

The young pole personally asked Arsenal fans to watch out for new developments during the upcoming annual Emirates Cup, with regards to the dreaded set-piece situation. He believes that Arsene Wenger has perfected their defensive methods for corners and free-kicks: "You might see a little change this weekend in our tactics [with set pieces]," revealed Szczesny.

"We’ve been working on it and I believe it’s working. I believe we’re going to get much better at dealing with set pieces this season.

"We weren't really stung by the criticism we received last season but it made us more determined to work hard on our weaknesses and I believe we can improve on it."

Szczesny promised to prove his worth to the manager, as well as disgruntled gooners who watched in horror as our trophy dreams and automatic Champions League qualification hopes fizzled out towards the end of the season: "I enjoyed my spell last season and I want to do my best to convince the boss that I should be No 1," he said.

"We are all friends – all the players at the Club are friends – but at the same time, we want the same No 1 spot."